PRIVACY NOTICE ABOUT THIS DOCUMENT
Gateshead Primary SCITT is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information.
This privacy notice describes how we collect and use personal information about you during and after your working relationship with us, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
It applies to all;
- Trainees enrolled on our QTS & PGCE training programme
- Applicants to our QTS & PGCE training programme
- Individuals expressing an interest in teacher training through Recruitment Events
- Individuals expressing an interest in teacher training through email enquiry
Gateshead Primary SCITT is a “data controller”.
This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you.
We are required under data protection legislation to notify you of the information contained in this privacy notice.
It is important that you read this notice, together with any other privacy notice we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal information about you, so that you are aware of how and why we are using such information.
We may amend this notice at any time.
Why do we collect and use your information?
Gateshead Primary SCITT holds the legal right to collect and use personal data relating to trainees. We collect and use personal data in order to meet legal requirements and legitimate interests set out in the GDPR and UK law, including those in relation to the following:
- Article 6 and Article 9 of the GDPR
- Education Act 1996
- Regulation 5 of The Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England) Regulations 2013 In accordance with the above, the personal data of trainees is collected and used for the following reasons:
- To support pupil learning
- To monitor and report on trainee progress
- To assess the quality of our service
- To comply with the law regarding data sharing
- To safeguard
Data protection principles
We will comply with data protection law.
This says that the personal information we hold about you must be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
The kind of information we hold about you, personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified.
It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
There are “special categories” of more sensitive personal data which require a higher level of protection. These are data about ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or similar beliefs, trade union membership, health, sex life, criminal proceedings or convictions, genetic or biometric data.
We will collect, store, and use some or all of the following categories of personal information about you:
- Personal contact details such as name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and personal email addresses
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- National Insurance number
- Bank account details
- Start date
- Location of placement
- Copy of driving licence/Passport/Identity documents
- Employment records (including job titles, work history, working hours)
- Progress and assessment information
- Disciplinary and grievance information
Gateshead Primary SCITT, Lobley Hill Primary School, Rothbury Gardens, Gateshead. NE11 0AT Telephone: 0191 433 4081 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Website: www.gatesheadscitt.org.uk.
We may also collect, store and use the following “special categories” of more sensitive personal information:
- Information about your ethnicity
- Information about your health, including any medical condition, health and sickness records.
How is your personal information collected?
We collect personal information through the application, recruitment and selection process, either directly from individuals, or through the UCAS application process. We may sometimes collect additional information from third parties including Student Loans Company. We will collect additional personal information in the course of training-related activities throughout the period of you training with us.
How we will use information about you
We will only use your personal information when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal information in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we have entered into with you
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
We may also use your personal information in the following situations, which are likely to be rare:
- Where we need to protect your interests (or someone else’s interests).
- Where it is needed in the public interest or for official purposes.
If you fail to provide personal information
If you fail to provide certain information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have entered into with you (such as, training you or providing a benefit), or we may be prevented from complying with our legal obligations.
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
We do not need your consent if we use special categories of your personal information in accordance with our written policy to carry out our legal obligations or exercise specific rights in the field of employment law.
In limited circumstances, we may approach you for your written consent to allow us to process certain particularly sensitive data.
If we do so, we will provide you with full details of the information that we would like and the reason we need it, so that you can carefully consider whether you wish to consent.
You should be aware that it is not a condition of your contract with us that you agree to any request for consent from us.
We may have to share your data with third parties, including third-party service providers, where required by law, where it is necessary to administer the working relationship with you or where we have another legitimate interest in doing so.
We require third parties to respect the security of your data and to treat it in accordance with the law.
- The Department for Education
- National College for Teaching and Leadership
- Student Loans Company – Tuition Fee, Maintenance Loans and Bursary
- Northumbria University
- Partner schools within the Gateshead Primary SCITT partnership and also Gateshead Council.
All our third-party service providers are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with our policies.
We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
Transferring information outside the EU
We will ensure that your personal information receives an adequate level of protection and is treated by those third parties in a way that is consistent with and which respects the EU and UK laws on data protection.
We have appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed.
In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those third parties who have a business need to know.
They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
There are procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
Gateshead Primary SCITT will keep some forms of information for longer than others. Because of storage problems, information about students cannot be kept indefinitely, unless there are specific requests to do so. In general, information about students will be kept for a maximum of five years after they leave the course. This will include
- name and address
- academic achievements
- copies of any reference written
All other information, including any information about health, race or disciplinary matters will be destroyed within seven years of the course ending.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements. Rights of access, correction, erasure, and restriction
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current.
Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during your working relationship with us. Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”).
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your personal information.
- Object to processing of your personal information.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
Where the processing of your data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
If you have a concern about the way Gateshead Primary SCITT and/or NCTL & Northumbria University is collecting or using your personal data, you can raise a concern with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
The ICO can be contacted on 0303 123 1113, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.
Contact For further information about your rights, or if you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact Johanna James, Data Protection Officer, Gateshead Primary SCITT (email@example.com).
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues.
Declaration I, _______________________________, declare that I understand:
- Gateshead Primary SCITT has a legal and legitimate interest to collect and process my personal data in order to meet statutory requirements.
- How my data is used.
- Gateshead Primary SCITT may share my data with NCTL, Northumbria University and subsequently the LA.
- Gateshead Primary SCITT will not share my data to any other third parties without my consent, unless the law requires the SCITT to do so.
- Gateshead Primary SCITT will always ask for explicit consent where this is required, and I must provide this consent if I agree to the data being processed.
- My data is retained in line with the SCITT’s GDPR Data Protection Policy.
- My rights to the processing of my personal data.
- Where I can find out more information about the processing of my personal data.
The information we collect
In addition to the information you provide on registration, we will collect:-
- details about which of our services you utilise;
- information each time you visit our Website;
- information from the documents you complete.
Your information will be used to administer your requirements for information or services from us and to notify you about any changes to our Website. Occasionally, we may also use your details to inform you of other features, services and products we, or our group companies or our affiliate, can provide which we think you may be interested in and we may contact you by post, fax, email or telephone. If you do not wish to receive this additional information, you can let us know by ticking the appropriate box on the registration form.
Keeping your data secure
We will keep your personal information confidential except to the extent that we are compelled to disclose it by law or to comply with an instruction of a regulatory body of competent jurisdiction. To comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998, we adhere to strict security procedures and have taken all appropriate measures to ensure that no unauthorised disclosures of your details are made to a third party without your permission and unauthorised access to it is prevented. In order to assist us with our security policy, you must adhere to the provisions set out in the security section of our terms and conditions.
Use of an ISP
We reserve the right to appoint an Internet Service Provider (“ISP”) to host this Website on our behalf which may be situated outside the European Economic Area (the “EEA”). In order to deliver the service to you, it may be necessary to transfer your information outside the EEA and by agreeing to our terms and conditions, you consent to any such transfer.
Get in touch
Gateshead Primary SCITT
Lobley Hill Primary School,
Gateshead, NE11 0AT